Perfect for an easy dinner or weekend brunch, this Shakshuka dish from Judianne at Quick, Family Meals is packed full of antioxidants and protein thanks to its tomato base and tasty egg toppings.
- 2 x 400g tin tomatoes
- 1 large onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4 eggs
- 1 pepper
- 1 aubergine (optional)
- 2 large handfuls of herbs e.g. basil / coriander/ parsley
- • ½ tsp chilli powder or smoked
- 2 tbs oil
- Optional – feta cheese sprinkled over the top
- Heat 2 tbs oil in a large frying pan until it's hot.
- Cube the aubergine and add to the hot oil.
- Chop the onion and add to the pan.
- Mince the garlic and add to the pan, and then chop the pepper and add it to the pan too.
- Fry the onion, aubergine and pepper until it's light brown.
- In the meantime, chop the herbs (leave a small handful to the side) and add 1/2 tsp chilli powder or smoked paprika.
- Add 2 tins of chopped tomatoes.
- Cook for 1 minute.
- Make a hollow for the eggs and crack them in. Cover with a lid and cook for 3 minutes.
- Sprinkle with the remaining herbs and serve in the pan on a heatproof mat.
If you've got some Shakshuka left, spoon the leftovers into double compartment Igluu Meal Prep Container with some bread and enjoy for lunch the next day!