If you're a fan of Chinese food, this recipe from Sammy's Kitchen is for you! Substitute your favourite order with a healthy alternative that's fresh and easy to make.
- 400g firm tofu
- 2 tbsp cornflour
- Flavourless oil (veg, sunflower or groundnut etc)
- 2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
- 2 tbsp tamari/soy sauce
- 1 tbsp cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp agave/honey
- 1 inch fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tsp chilli flakes or to taste
- Vegetables of your choice (Sammy recommends using carrot, red pepper, sugar snaps and mushrooms)
- Drop of sesame oil
- 1 spring onion
- 1 pouch of rice
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tbsp tamari
- Handful of cashew nuts
- Dry the tofu as well as you can by laying it on some kitchen roll, weigh it down with a plate and leave it for 10 minutes to drain.
- Dice the tofu into cubes and give it another pat. Pour the cornflour onto a plate with a bit of salt and pepper and toss the tofu in the mix.
- Pour some oil into a wok to cover the bottom by about 3ml and heat on high for a few minutes until very hot. Carefully place the tofu in the oil and fry for 2 minutes before flipping. Give them another turn so they're crispy on all sides, which should take between 5-10 minutes. Spoon out the tofu and place on a plate lined with kitchen towel, leave it to cool slightly then give it a pat to soak up any excess oil.
- Make the sauce by gently heating your sweet chilli, tamari, vinegar and honey until it bubbles.
- In the meantime, peel the ginger and garlic, chop into cubes and add to the pan with some chilli flakes.
- Finely slice your veg and add it to the sauce, leaving it to soften slightly.
- In a frying pan, heat your sesame oil and slice your spring onion, adding it to the pan. Add the rice and heat for two minutes.
- Whisk your eggs and soy sauce. Push the rice to the sides of your pan and create a well. Pour the egg mix in and leave for 15 seconds before stirring with a spatula. As it's starting to set, bring the rice in and give it a good mix. Take off the heat once the egg is cooked.
- Pop the tofu into the sauce and serve with rice. Toast the cashews in the rice pan and once they're brown serve up with the tofu.
This is the ideal recipe to prep ahead and pop in an Igluu Meal Prep Container - just take a pouch of rice with you and you can heat the rice and tofu mix on the go!