Halloween is upon us, which means there's no better excuse to put on a horror and cosy up with a spicy slice of gluten free, vegan pumpkin pie? This simple yet delicious recipe has been magicked up by Rebecca at Glutarama just in time for All Hallows Eve - treats for everyone!
Vegan and GF pumpkin pie
- 8 slices
- 350 g pureed pumpkin
- 300 g block of tofu
- 115 g caster sugar
- 2 tbsp brandy
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp ginger
- 2 tsp nutmeg
- 2 tsp psyllium powder
- 200 g plain flour
- 50 g margarine
- 50 g lard/trex
- 50 g caster sugar
- 1 egg or flaxseed alternative
To make the pastry...
- Measure the flour and both fats into a bowl. Using a pastry handle or your fingertips, rub the fat into the flour until you get breadcrumb
- Stir in the suga
- Add your egg or flaxseed egg alternative (1tbsp flaxseed with 100ml cold water)
- Bring the pastry crumbs together with a wooden spoon and tip onto a kitchen surfac
- Knead the dough for a while!
- Wrap and cool in the fridge for at least 30mins before us
To make the filling..
- To roast your pumpkin, pre-heat the oven at 200°C.
- Cut a pumpkin into quarters and de-seed before placing in a roasting tray. Cover in foil and bake for at least 60 minutes
- In a blender add your pumpkin puree, tofu and remaining ingredients, whizz until blended and no tofu lumps remain
- Set to one side and remove your pastry from the fridge and roll out to fit an 8 inch pie or flan dish
- Once your pastry case is ready you can pour the pumpkin batter into the case
- Pop into the oven and bake for 45 mins at 200°C/180°C for a fan oven
- To allow the pie to set properly and to achieve the ‘custard texture’, pop your pue into the fridge, once cool, for at least 1 hour before eating
Why not slice your pie up and take some to work as a spooky treat? Our single compartment containers make the perfect pie carriers! Igluu meal prep containers can be purchased on ourwebsite