Oats. A simple staple in any cupboard that's fast becoming go-to breakfast fuel for the health and wellbeing community. These hearty grains are nothing new - for centuries, people have relied on oatmeal for a warm, filling meal to get them through the winter. These days, we're using it to power through work, the gym and everything in between. What is new however, is the way people are preparing them. The humble oat has been transformed into the overnight oat, promising taste, nutrition and the perfect breakfast for meal preppers. Made the night before, overnight oats can include nuts, protein powder, nut butter, berries, seeds, you name it. Their versatility is what makes them so great.
Besides how tasty they can be, oats pack in plenty of benefits with a side of indulgence.
- Soluble and insoluble fiber in oats help lower cholesterol, stabilise blood glucose levels and improve intestinal health.
- Whole grains squash those irritating cravings by keeping us fuller for longer.
- It's a quick, inexpensive meal that can be dressed up or eaten alone.
- Oats are full of nutrients, including zinc, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, thiamin, selenium and manganese.
Overnight oats are by their very nature meal prep-friendly. We tend to make ours the night before we plan on eating them and the results are delicious, creamy oats in the morning - even when made with water! So, without further ado, here are our favourite ways with oats...
- Rolled oats
- Water, almond milk, soya milk, coconut milk... whichever you prefer!
- Greek yogurt
- A pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon of chia seeds
- 0-2 tablespoons of honey or maple syrup
- Igluu meal prep containers
Once you've mixed the basics into your one compartment Igluu container (or use our two or three compartment containers so you can create several flavours of overnight for the next few days!), start adding in the extras.
Make the cosiest oats of all, perfect for chilly mornings.
- Half a teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- A pinch of ground ginger
- A pinch of ground cloves
- Half a medium apple
- Toasted nuts or dried fruit for an optional topping
Chocolate peanut butter
All in the indulgence of Reese's but without the guilt, chocolate peanut butter oats are packed with simple, guilt-free ingredients.
- Vanilla extract
- Natural peanut butter
- Cocoa powder
Coffee and protein kick
Get your caffeine fix before the kettle has even boiled! Plus with added protein, this is a great way to easily boost your macros.
- 3 tablespoons of your favourite instant coffee
- 2 tablespoons of vanilla protein powder
Fruit for thought
Sometimes a lighter breakfast that's packed with tropical fruit strikes the perfect balance between filling and fresh.
- Half a banana
- Handful of chopped pineapple
- Handful of chopped mango
- 1 chopped kiwi
- Flaked coconut